Vegan Gluten Free Superfood Brownies (V + GF)
Updated: Apr 20, 2018
Easiest, one bowl recipe that's packed with superfoods. Now you can be well nourished AND indulge your sweet tooth the same time...plus it will pass your little one's taste test!
I come from a history rich in traditional baking with all things dairy, gluten and decadence galore, so I was always pretty weary about baking anything gluten free, and especially adding vegan on top of that. I figured there was no way these healthier, new age recipes could even remotely rival their buttery and flour-y counterparts. Impossible right?! Well...clearly I was wrong otherwise this blog here wouldn't even exist. After years and years of bowing to eggs and flour, I finally decided to give some healthier baking recipes a try. When you have a sweet tooth like I do and the rest of my family does, at a certain point something's gotta give...and I wasn't too interested in it being my health and my waistline.
I love this particular brownie recipe because it's SO rich and fudgy sans dairy AND it's incredibly simple to whip up. Plus the fact that it's packed with superfoods like Cacao, Hemp Seeds, Gogi Berries, Flax AND the fact that it's very light in sugar make it a healthy daytime snack that you don't have to feel guilty about, even though the taste would scream otherwise. I also love that my kids love these and don't detect all the healthy ingredients I manage to sneak in...
Health Benefits of Vegan GF Superfood Brownies
Cacao - high in antioxidants
Gogi Berries - antioxidants, beta-carotene for glowing skin, ant-inflammatory
Hemp Seeds - high in protein, high in omega-3 fatty acid for heart health, rich in minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus, iron and zinc, good source of fiber
Flax - high in omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants (lingans), good source of fiber
1/4 c. unsalted almond butter
1/2 c. coconut sugar (I use Navitas)
1/3 c. pure maple syrup
1/4 c. plus 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
3/4 c. unsweetened cacao powder (I use Navitas)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax + 6 tablespoons water, whick together, set aside
for 15 min.)
1/4 c. + 2 tablespoons gluten free oat flour (can use almond flour for paleo...turns out
extra fudgy and delicious!)
1/2 c. gogi berries (I use Navitas)
1 tablespoon hemp seeds (I use Navitas)
1/2 c. vegan chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease 8 inch baking pan with oil and lightly coat in gluten free flour. Set aside.
2. In a medium to large bowl, whisk together almond butter, coconut sugar, maple syrup and melted coconut oil until blended and smooth.
3. Add cacao powder in 1/4 c. increments until shiny and smooth. Whisk in vanilla and salt.
4. Add flax eggs in, whisking until smooth. In thirds, add oat flour. If batter is too thick to whisk then use large spoon or spatula instead. Stir until no flour patches remain.
5. Stir in chocolate chips, gogi berries and hemp seeds until well incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top with spatula so batter is even.
6. Bake 28-32 minutes (toothpick or knife end should come out clean from center of batter when done). Let cool for 30 min. then slice, serve and enjoy!
These are particularly great when topped with coconut whipped cream, and delicious by themselves as well! Can be stored in an air tight container for up to a week, or frozen in an air tight freezer container for up to a month. Thanks for trying out my recipe! I hope you love these as much as we do in our household...comments and questions welcome! Stay tuned for lots more healthy and delicious recipes on the blog. Much love to you all and happy eating from our hearth to yours!